What is the Decathlon?
The Academic Junior High Decathlon is a competition for students in grades 6-8. There are ten events. Two are collaborative team efforts – a logic quiz with 20 rigorous thinking problems, and a super quiz with 50 multiple choice questions on five broad academic themes. The remaining eight events test individual knowledge of the Roman Catholic doctrine, English, Literature, Science, Mathematics, Current Events, Social Studies, and Fine Arts (Art and Music). Awards are given for individual and team performance, and the winning school team from each geographic diocese competes in a state championship the first Saturday of March each year.
The Academic Junior High Decathlon (AJHD) Mission
- to promote academic excellence
- to promote collaborative spirit and cooperative learning skills
- to promote logical and higher order thinking
- to recognize the contributions of parents, teachers, school administrators, and business and community members in supporting high standards for all students; and
- to celebrate the diversity, excellence, and tradition of Catholic schools