Each year our campus comes alive with the sound of music! St. Junipero Serra Catholic School produces a musical each year offering a unique opportunity for all students in grades 1 – 8 to be a part of a live theater performance. Whether it’s acting, singing, dancing or crew – there’s a role for every student who wants to be a part of this very special event. A cast and crew of 100+ from all grades and all ages work together collaboratively to communicate a compelling story through singing, dancing, acting, costuming, lighting and set design. Students develop self-confidence and learn all aspects of theater performance both in front of and behind the curtain.
Preparation and practice for the musical occur after school for 6-10 weeks, leading up to three performances for audiences of 400-600. These delightful performances create a special bond with our students, and could not happen without our dedicated parent volunteers and SJSC staff members. For more information about our School Musical Program, contact Janess Sifers, Music Teacher Grades 5-8, email@example.com
Tickets now on sale!
Students in grades one through eight are invited to audition for this fun and entertaining musical. All information can be found here starting September 1, 2018. Students are asked to complete an Audition Application before September 13, 2018 and submit to Mrs. Sifers. Audition materials including music, scripts and the required dance video will be available for students to review and memorize. Additional questions can be e-mailed to Mrs. Sifers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Schedule for Annie Jr.: If your child is a lead character they will be expected to be available throughout the week (Monday through Friday). Most roles will rehearse two to three times per week for leads. Some roles, such as Annie may have rehearsal every day during certain weeks. Ensemble members (Orphans, Servants, and various other ensemble roles) should be prepared to rehearse Tuesdays and Thursdays. Many weeks they will only be called once. As the show gets closer they will be asked to come both days and on select minimum day Fridays (October 5 and October 12).
CLICK HERE for the Crew Application
PARTICIPATION FEE is $200 per student. This fee is due by September 24, 2018.
- Each participation fee includes a DVD of the performance. Please remove $30 per additional child’s participation fee. Please contact Janess Sifers with further questions on payments.
- This fee covers costumes, sets/props, music, lighting, sound, licensing, cast t-shirt, DVD, snacks, the cast party, and much more.
Open Audition Information
- Students will audition in groups of six. They will be called in and asked to dance as a group. Students will then be asked to sing and read their lines. (grades 3-8)
- Grades 1 & 2 will be asked to sing any song of their choice.
- Parents need to stay with students until their audition is complete.
- Parents may come into the audition room and sit quietly while children audition.
- Please do not bring siblings into the audition room if they will be disruptive.
- Students will only receive one audition time slot.
Applicants may leave as soon as they have auditioned.
All Performances and Tech Week are MANDATORY!
- Tech Week = November 5-10, after school until evening
- Performance #1 - Thursday November 8 @ 6:30 p.m.
- Performance #2 - Friday November 9 @ 6:30 p.m.
- Performance #3 - Saturday November 10 @ 1:00 p.m.
- Cast Party TBA
The Cast List will be emailed on Wednesday September 19, 2018 after 3:00 p.m. Students will need to email Mrs. Sifers with their decision to accept or decline their role by Thursday September 20 by 8:00 p.m. The Lead Read through will be Friday, September 21, 2018 from 2:40 .pm. - 4:30 p.m. in the Middle School Music Room. I understand this is a very quick turnaround. We only have about 6 weeks to put the show together.
There will be many students who audition and want a lead role. Please understand that ALL roles are crucial to the success of the performances. Think about accepting or declining your role carefully. Feelings are not meant to be hurt in the decisions that are made.
Option for students in grades 1 & 2
Orphans (Boys & Girls)
Options for students in grades 3-8
Orphans (Boys & Girls)
Sandy the Dog (grades 3-4)
Servants (Drake, Mrs. Greer, Mrs. Pugh, plus others)
People of NYC / Radio Personnel / Presidential Personnel
Options for students in grades 5-8
Rooster Miss Hannigan
Lily Grace Farrell
Oliver Warbucks President Roosevelt
Bert Healy - Radio Personality
Audition Documents and Music
- Audition Application 2018-19
- Audition Sides - Bert Healy, Oliver Warbucks, Servants, People of NYC
- Audition Sides - Grace, Miss Hannigan, Annie, Ophans
- Auditions Sides - Rooster, Miss Hannigan, Lily
- Character Breakdown Annie Jr
- Boy Audition Music- NYC
- Boy-Girl Audition Music - Tomorrow (Reprise)
- Girl Audition Music - Maybe (Reprise)
7th/8th GRADE PARENTS: Students participating in Volleyball and Football may have difficulty participating in the musical due to schedule conflicts and Playoff dates. Possible playoff dates for both sports are November 8-9 which are opening night and show #2. The musical schedule will be posted. If you think your child can participate in both activities we encourage you to audition. Students may not miss any day of tech week or any of the performances. Students may only miss two musical rehearsals. Thank you for understanding.
AFTER SCHOOL INSTRUMENTAL BAND PARENTS: Students participating in the after school instrumental program (Thursdays) may not miss musical rehearsal for the instrumental band rehearsal. You must choose a role that will fit the schedule. It was too much of a disturbance last year. Thank you for understanding.
Questions? Please contact Janess Sifers @ email@example.com
The 2018 School Musical was Seussical Jr!
To view a highlight video from this year's highly entertaining performance click on the video below.
Click the links below to view photos from Seussical Jr on Flickr
Past SJSC School Musical Productions:
2017 - Aladdin Jr. - CLICK HERE to view photos.
2016 - The Lion King Jr.
2015 - High School Musical
2014 - The Little Mermaid Jr.
2013 - Beauty and the Beast Jr.