Learning Support & Psychological Services
Welcome to the Learning Support & Psychological Services department at St. Junipero Serra Catholic School! We are blessed to be such active members within the school community here. We currently serve about 200 students by way of Individualized Learning Plans (ILPs) and/or counseling and consultation services to address a variety of exceptional needs. Dr. Quigley and Mrs. Bielkevicius offer the following support to students and families as part of St. Serra’s mission to meet the unique potential of the whole child:
- Consultation: This includes meetings with teachers to develop strategies to enhance the whole learning experience for a specific child; meetings with parents to discuss concerns and to design and implement solutions; and, classroom and playground observations to help understand student behaviors in a natural environment.
- Learning Support Team: Our philosophy is that we ALL have strengths and weaknesses. Even Einstein himself was rumored to have failed his math classes! What this unique program provides is additional support for students who have academic, behavioral, emotional, and/or physical differences that affect their learning in a typical classroom environment. As coordinators of the Learning Support Team, we collaborate with teachers, families, and administrators to develop and implement ILPs to meet the students' individual needs and help them achieve their full potential in all areas.
- Counseling: Sometimes children can benefit from talking to someone about their feelings and the events of their lives, which is provided through short-term, solution-focused, confidential counseling (subject to scheduling availability). Examples of topics addressed include improving emotional and/or behavioral control and regulation; coping skills for family/environmental changes; strengthening social skills; reducing emotional distress; and enhancing self-esteem. Referrals for outside professionals are also available.
- Assessment: At times it is necessary to obtain detailed information about a child’s learning strengths and needs in one or more areas of functioning. We highly recommend sharing any assessment information with us so that we may interpret and determine what accommodations are necessary for student success. Comprehensive, psycho-educational assessments are also offered by Serra Catholic School on a first come, first serve basis (subject to scheduling availability). Referrals for outside professionals are also available.
- Resource Library: We have a variety of resources and books for students, parents, and teachers alike. These can be reviewed and/or checked out at your convenience. We can also provide you with an extensive referral list of local and community-based providers upon request.
Questions? Concerns? You've come to the right place! Please contact us according to the grade level of your student:
Preschool - 3rd Grade
Dr. Lori Quigley
firstname.lastname@example.org; (949) 888-1990 ext. 243
4th - 8th Grades
Mrs. Kristina Bielkevicius
email@example.com; (949) 888-1990 ext. 143